Have you recently received a traffic ticket in New York State? Dealing with a traffic violation can be a stressful and confusing experience. Whether you were accused of speeding, driving recklessly, or failing to yield, always understand the potential consequences and your options for defense.
At Cohen & Bernstein, LLC, we represent individuals facing traffic violations in New York State. With our qualified team of NY traffic ticket attorneys, we have over a decade of experience in providing dedicated defense representation.
Contact us today if you’re looking for trusted legal assistance, personalized attention, and a track record of success.
New York State Traffic Ticket Guide
- Why Choose Our Firm to Handle Your New York Traffic Violation?
- Common Traffic Tickets
- Why Should You Defend Against a Traffic Violation?
- Possible Penalties
- Common Defenses Against Traffic Tickets
- How Our New York Traffic Ticket Lawyers Can Help
- Consult Our New York State Traffic Ticket Defense Attorneys Now
Why Choose Our Firm to Handle Your New York Traffic Violation?
When facing a traffic violation, having the right legal representation on your side is crucial. At Cohen & Bernstein, LLC, we are committed to fighting for our clients’ rights and achieving favorable outcomes in their cases.
Here’s why you should choose our firm to handle your traffic violation:
- Qualified: Our team of experienced traffic ticket attorneys possesses the knowledge and experience to navigate the complex legal system. We stay updated on the latest changes and developments in traffic laws to provide the best defense for our clients.
- Track Record: With over a decade of experience, we have a proven track record of successfully defending against traffic charges. Our attorneys have helped countless clients avoid or minimize the penalties associated with traffic violations.
- Dedication: We understand how a traffic violation can affect your driving record, insurance rates, and overall reputation. That’s why we are dedicated to providing personalized attention and individualized strategies to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
- Strong Advocates: We act as your trusted advocate throughout the legal process. Our attorneys will meticulously review the details of your case, gather evidence, and develop a strong defense strategy tailored to your specific situation.
Common Traffic Tickets
Traffic violations can range from minor infractions to serious offenses. Here are some of the most common traffic tickets issued in New York State:
Speeding is one of the most common traffic violations in New York State. Whether you were going slightly over the speed limit or significantly exceeding it, a speeding ticket can result in fines, points on your driving record, and increased insurance rates.
Reckless driving involves operating a vehicle with a willful disregard for the safety of others. Law enforcement takes this offense seriously and can lead to severe penalties, including license suspension and even jail time.
Failure to yield
Failing to yield the right-of-way can result in accidents and injuries. Whether you failed to yield to a pedestrian or another vehicle, this traffic violation can lead to fines, points on your driving record, and increased insurance premiums.
Failure to stop at a stop sign or red light
Running a stop sign or red light is dangerous and a serious traffic violation. It puts yourself and others at risk of accidents and injuries. If you’ve been cited for this offense, seek legal representation to protect your rights.
Leaving the scene of an accident
Leaving the scene of an accident, especially when injuries or property damage are involved, is a criminal offense in New York State. This traffic violation can lead to significant penalties, including fines, license suspension, and even imprisonment.
Not yielding to pedestrians at a crosswalk
Pedestrians have the right of way at crosswalks, and failing to yield to them can result in a traffic ticket. This violation carries fines and points on your driving record.
Texting while driving
Distracted driving, particularly texting while driving, is a dangerous and strictly prohibited behavior in New York State. If you’re facing allegations of texting while behind the wheel, you may face fines and points on your driving record.
Driving under the influence (DUI) is a severe offense with serious consequences. If you’re facing DUI charges in New York State, you may face substantial fines, license suspension, mandatory DUI education programs, and even jail time.
Driving with a suspended license
Operating a vehicle with a suspended license is against the law in New York State. This offense can lead to further license suspension, fines, and potentially even imprisonment.
Why Should You Defend Against a Traffic Violation?
Some individuals may consider simply paying the fine and accepting the consequences of a traffic violation. However, defending against a traffic violation can have numerous benefits, including:
- Protecting your driving record: Traffic violations can result in points on your driving record. Accumulating too many points can lead to increased insurance premiums and even license suspension. By defending against a traffic violation, you can avoid or reduce the number of points on your driving record.
- Minimizing the impact on your insurance rates: Insurance companies often increase rates for individuals with a history of traffic violations. By successfully defending against a traffic violation, you may prevent your insurance rates from skyrocketing.
- Avoiding additional penalties: Depending on the severity of the traffic violation, there may be additional penalties such as license suspension, mandatory driving courses, or even imprisonment. You improve your chances of avoiding or minimizing these penalties by seeking legal representation.
- Challenging the evidence: Traffic violations are not always based on solid evidence. There are instances where our attorneys can challenge the accuracy of radar guns, the calibration of speed cameras, or the behavior of law enforcement. A skilled traffic ticket attorney can investigate your case’s circumstances and identify any possible defenses.
The penalties for traffic violations in New York State can vary depending on the offense and your driving history.
Here are some of the potential consequences you may face:
- Fines: Traffic violations often come with monetary fines ranging from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars.
- Points on your driving record: Certain traffic violations carry points that go on your driving record. Accumulating too many points within a specific timeframe can result in license suspension or revocation.
- Increased insurance premiums: Insurance companies consider traffic violations when determining your insurance rates. A history of traffic violations may lead to higher premiums or even denial of coverage.
- License suspension: Serious traffic violations, such as DUI or reckless driving, can lead to temporary or permanent license suspension.
- Mandatory driving courses: Depending on the offense, you may be required to complete defensive driving courses or traffic school as part of your sentence.
- Incarceration: You may face imprisonment for severe traffic offenses, such as leaving the scene of an accident or repeat DUI offenses.
To avoid costly consequences whenever possible, immediately seek defense help from our NY traffic lawyers.
Common Defenses Against Traffic Tickets
When you receive a traffic ticket, it can be a stressful and overwhelming experience. You may be worried about the consequences and the impact it will have on your driving record and insurance premiums.
However, it is important to remember that you have options for defending yourself against these charges. Below are some common defenses our attorneys might use to fight traffic tickets in New York.
One of the most common defenses against traffic tickets is challenging the accuracy of the evidence presented by the prosecution. This can include questioning the reliability of the radar or laser device used to determine your speed, or the calibration records of the device.
Law enforcement officers must follow specific protocols when using radar or laser devices, and any deviations from these protocols can challenge the validity of the evidence.
Another defense strategy involves challenging the officer’s observations. This can include questioning whether the officer had a clear and unobstructed view of your alleged violation or if any other factors could have affected their perception.
For example, if the officer claims that you ran a red light, you can argue that their view was obstructed by a large truck or a tree, making their observation unreliable.
Additionally, you can also challenge the legality of the traffic stop itself. For a traffic stop to be valid, the officer must have reasonably suspected that you were engaged in illegal activity.
If you can show that the officer had no valid reason to initiate the traffic stop, any evidence obtained due to the stop may be deemed inadmissible in court.
Always consult an experienced traffic ticket attorney to discuss the specifics of your case and determine the best defense strategy.
Our skilled New York State traffic defense attorneys will review the evidence, analyze the circumstances of your traffic stop, and identify any potential weaknesses in the prosecution’s case. We will also guide you through the legal process and provide personalized attention to ensure the best possible outcome.
Retaining a traffic ticket attorney increases your chances of successfully fighting the charges and minimizing the potential consequences. We have the knowledge and expertise to navigate the legal system and negotiate with prosecutors on your behalf. Our lawyers can also represent you in court, presenting your defense and advocating for your rights.
If you find yourself facing a traffic ticket in New York, make sure you hire a professional to explore all possible defenses. Challenging the accuracy of the evidence, questioning the officer’s observations, and challenging the legality of the traffic stop are common strategies that our legal team might use in your defense. However, consulting with a traffic ticket attorney who can provide you with guidance and representation throughout the legal process. Don’t face the consequences alone – contact Cohen & Bernstein, LLC today to discuss your case and protect your rights.
How Our New York Traffic Ticket Lawyers Can Help
Navigating the legal system and defending against traffic violations can be challenging. That’s where our experienced New York traffic ticket lawyers come in.
When you choose Cohen & Bernstein, LLC to handle your case, you can expect:
- Thorough evaluation of your case: Our attorneys will examine the details of your traffic violation, review any available evidence, and identify any possible defenses or mitigating factors.
- Personalized defense strategy: We understand that every case is unique. Our attorneys will develop a tailored defense strategy to address the specific circumstances of your case and maximize your chances of a favorable outcome.
- Effective negotiation: We have extensive experience negotiating with prosecutors to potentially reduce charges or penalties. Our goal is to achieve the best result possible for your case.
- Courtroom representation: If your case proceeds to court, our attorneys will provide skilled representation, presenting your defense and advocating for your rights.
- Guidance and support: We will be by your side throughout the legal process, answering your questions, keeping you informed, and providing the support you need during this challenging time.
Consult Our New York State Traffic Ticket Defense Attorneys Now
Don’t face your traffic violation alone. Contact Cohen & Bernstein, LLC to schedule a consultation with our New York State traffic ticket defense attorneys. We are here to provide trusted legal representation, personalized attention, and fight for your rights.
When you find yourself facing a traffic violation, consulting a traffic ticket defense attorney can be a wise decision. During your initial consultation, you can expect to receive valuable guidance and support as you navigate through the legal process. Here’s what you can expect in a consultation with a traffic ticket defense attorney.
First and foremost, a consultation is an opportunity for the attorney to understand the details of your case. This includes the specific violation you were charged with, any evidence or witness statements, and any previous history you may have. By gathering all the necessary information, our attorneys can assess the strength of your case and determine the most effective defense strategy.
Furthermore, the consultation provides an opportunity for you to ask any questions you may have about the legal process. Our New York State defense attorneys can explain the steps involved in defending a traffic violation case, including court procedures and timelines. We can also address any concerns or uncertainties you may have, ensuring that you feel confident and supported throughout the process.
Visit our website or call our office at (888) 872-2898 for more information. Remember, time is of the essence, so don’t delay seeking legal advice and taking action to protect your driving record and future.